Posted to alt.energy.homepower,misc.rural,alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default What REC said: was "lost electricity"

Solar Flare wrote:
Sure. Ask him why they fill the transformer with oil and circulate it
then.

Transformers are filled with oil for aluminum, or copper, conductors to
transfer heat to the case, then to the air. High current through
conductors creates a lot of I squared R heat. With conductors tightly
packed together in a transformer winding the heat is difficult to dissipate.

Aluminum conductors evaporate because their resistance increases
exponentially, Copper is not as bad.

Last I heard, at reasonable temperatures the resistance of aluminum,
like that of copper, doesn't significantly change.

Kindly provide a link with information on aluminum conductors evaporating.

wrote in message
On Jan 22, 12:19?pm, wrote:
I asked a buddy with a electrical engineering degree, at one time he
designed transformers for power companies.

he claims a overheated line will not majorily change power
consumption. very minor if any difference

I agree with dpb's answer to hallerb - wrong question.

--
bud--