Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Victory Victory is offline

Default is there a way to increase the light of an LED with a dial?

Ok, I did some tests, borrowing a variable resistor and it works great
- now here is the concern :
I am not sure what the maximum output of the SINGLE LED is - so I am
trying to match up the MAX of the variable resistor with the MAX of
the LED, so it doesn't blow.
The power sources is TWO button batteries : CR2032 (3V) ontop of each
other to the LED. It works great. Now, when I add the resistor, how
can I tell which VARIABLE RESISTOR to buy because I want one that is
going to give me the maximum output (without it burning out) at the
top of the resister cycle of turns (I guess the best example is 1-10
on a volume of a stereo because I am a non-techincal person when it
comes to this stuff). So I want the resister to top out at
'10' (brightest) but also be able to dim down (but it doesn't
necessary have to go to 0).

Thanks, I hope this is clear.

On Jan 24, 12:42 pm, bz wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote :

No probs. It's just that I have used pots before in temporary 'power'
lashup applications, and have found todays minuscule tracks to really
not be up to the job. If the OP is just using say 6v worth of batteries
- and he's gonna need at least 4 volts worth to run a white LED - then
it would probably be OK, but the wipers on these modern pots are pretty
delicate, and the contact area on the track is very small, so I just
figured that even given his apparent limited electronic knowledge, a
'helper' transistor, which really is very simple to connect into the
circuit, would be a good idea, if the scenario was that this thing was
going to get turned up and down regularly.

And the pots don't work so well, once you let out some of the magic smoke,
as I have found out.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.