Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default kitchen floor: ceramic tiles or laminate tile effect

On Jan 24, 11:06*am, adder1969 wrote:
On Jan 24, 10:32*am, wrote:

On 23 Jan, 17:00, benpost wrote:

thanks for your help.
i bought some self levelling as im still undecided on whether to tile
or put down laminate/vinyl. i think i'll end up renting the place out
so one part of me says do it quick and cheap but another likes the
solid tiles.
the middle area is pretty flat as it had tiles on before. i just have
a couple of rectangular areas (where units were) that are concrete and
a bit uneven.

I had the same decision to make a few weeks ago - and went with tile
effect laminate to save time on levelling out the floor.
Laid it in under an hour, and it looks great - no-one has guessed that
it is laminate so far.

Mark.

If I were tiling I would use the tile adhesive to level the floor
whilst tiling, unless it was way out of course in which case I'd fill
with whatver I had around - screed or plaster. *I find for floating
plank style flooring like laminate that getting the floor level is
more critical otherwise it bounces. *A water leak onto/under a
laminate floor will also ruin it very quickly and you'll have to do
the job over again. *

Has this actually happened to you?

We had quite serious leak from the W/M outflow. The laminate suffered
no real damage and dried out well (It is designed for kitchens, after
all). I admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The real damage was to the
worktop above. The humidity (we didn't realise there was a leak for a
while as most of the water found its way under the laminate at the
edge of the room. seems to have caused it to swell and the covering to
start coming away where it rolls down over the front.

MBQ