Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Indexable lathe tools

On Jan 24, 4:51*am, Nick Mueller wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
Most carbide inserts have slightly rounded edges, in part from
the TiN (or other) coating process. *And they are usually sintered to
shape.

As a rule, those inserts for Al are *very* sharp. And even if they are sold
for use with alumin(i)um, you can use them on steel (and lighter cuts).
They do make a difference!

Nick

Ok, if we have an old manual lathe and no diamond grinder, how do we
use carbide?

I use TT221 C6 inserts for stainless but they chip so quickly that HSS
is less bother overall. Would C2 be better?

Last week I turned down the OD of a chromed Proto socket with a brazed
insert. I had to regrind it after every pass.

Jim Wilkins