Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Camlock Spindle Assembly again

Bob AZ wrote:
Can you provide details of what lathe you have so others can note it. I
have a D1-4 Camlock on my Harrison M300 and all indications are that �
the spindle is one piece, the camlock assembly being integral with the
spindle.- Hide quoted text -

David

I have a Birmingham lathe. 13" X 40". There appears to be a brass
sleeve that separates the spindle proper from the camlock assembly. I
have not opened up or removed the spindle to confirm this. Another
reply suggests that the whole spindle assembly, camlock and all starts
life as a casting and lots of maching from there.

I would like to have a camlock assembly, spindle side of things, that
I could thread to fit a LeBlond lathe that has threads. I don't
understand that this would be difficult, if it would be.

Thanks for the response.
Bob AZ

From previous threads on Birmingham lathes they are chinese so how they
make them may be different from how US and UK makers do their camlock
spindle. One point in doing your threading method will be, I expect, you
won't get the accuracy desired for the mount trueness so a clean up of
the camlock face and taper would be needed which will require a toolpost
grinder in all likelihood. The other problem which was brought up
recently on another thread is that increasing the extension of the chuck
is not beneficial to the rigidity and can increase the likelihood of
chatter.