Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default is there a way to increase the light of an LED with a dial?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Victory" wrote in message
I guess I am looking for a dimmer or something for it - just a dial
that can turn the light up to full or down a little depending on what
I want. But I want it to be controllable with a dial or something. I
hope that is clearer.
Thanks for the quick response and looking forward to the next one!

You want a variable resistor. The value depends on the particular LED
but you might try 2.5K or 5K.

Yes, James ie right. You don't want a varible resistor like I said. You
want a variable resistor. haha. I'm terrible at typing.

Mike

It may not work with a simple variable resistor because at higher
settings, the current will increase enough to probably just burn out the
small piece of the pot track that's still in circuit. A fixed resistor
will also still be needed to limit the full brightness current. In order
to get a decent control range, without risk of over-running the pot's
track and wiper, I would suggest that a small transistor needs throwing
into the mix to control the LED current, whilst the pot is left the
low-current job of controlling the transistor's base. If I get time today,
I'll give it a try.

Arfa

Arfa, How much current are we talking about here? If this is what I'm
immagining in my head with 2 or 3 led's it shouldn't draw much power. I
guess he could have one of those 5w led flashlights, but that was not what I
had in mind when he said dollar store.

Mike