Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Indexable lathe tools

On 2008-01-24, Louis Ohland wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
However, I do have some which have no coating, and which have
been ground to final shape which are quite sharp.

Uncoated inserts. Mmm. Do the normal suspects carry them (before I get
too excited)?

Hmm ... no bets on that based on what I know. You can get
uncoated, but they still have not been ground sharp, as they are
intended for heavy cutting, not fine cutting like these which I have.

I don't even know who actually *made* these. I got the first
few from someone on this newsgroup quite a few years ago, offering a few
free to anyone who wanted them. Well ... when I got them, they *were*
the ones which I needed -- 55 degree angle diamond shaped, with no
maker's name or model number visible on them. (They are only 1/4" IC,
so there isn't much room.) Since I was the only one who responded, he
offered to sell me the rest of what he had, quite a few bags of
different versions -- ground only for right-hand turning, ground only
for left-hand turning (the most), or ground for both (the fewest and
most desirable :-).

Since they do fit the shanks for my Compact-5 I bought what he
had, and I figure that I have a lifetime supply. When I first got the
lathe, I wondered where I would find more than the few packaged ones
(which were not nicely ground like this), since I had difficulty finding
anything which was a match in the MSC catalog pages.

So -- your best bet, I think, is to get one of the diamond
carbide grinders with settable table angles, and grind your own.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564