Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Tub Taps

On Jan 23, 11:27*am, Robert Allison wrote:
jim wrote:
Have to remove them. They are worn beyond repair. There is no access
behind the taps. I have to remove 9 tiles to get at them. I have
exactly 9 spare tiles and there is nowhere to match them up. I was
going to use a utility knife (many blades) to cut out the grout and
remove the required tiles - what are my chances of pulling this off?
Any tips to protect the tiles I need to leave from cracking when I
remove the others?

A dremel would work better than a utility knife. *Better yet, go and get
a grout saw. *They even have these at the borgs. *Put some masking tape
on the surrounding tiles (I wouldn't, but if it helps your confidence
level). *If you're doing a 3 x 3 square, start with the middle tile and
work your way out. *No need to remove any grout except that which is up
against a tile that you DO NOT want to remove.

Now, cut out the backing material leaving an inch or so on each edge
exposed. *When you replace the backing material, you can screw through
this edge to attach nailer strips, making installation much easier.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Thanks for the tips Robert. I did as you said. Dusty but did the
trick. Taps are in as are the tiles. Grout tomorrow.