Posted to alt.home.repair, rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Need a cover for high shelves

On Jan 23, 1:17*pm, jtpr wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:04 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"jtpr" wrote in message

On Jan 23, 10:27 am, Pat wrote:
On Jan 23, 10:00 am, jtpr wrote:

We have a utility/laundry/storage room in our new house. *I built
shelves along one wall that are about 10' hight by 10' long and 16"
deep. *My wife doesn't like to look at all the boxes and such and
wants to cover them up. *I don't really want to build a lot of doors
on them because of the general layout of the room and accessibility to
the shelf space. *So, I'm looking for suggestions on what would be a
good solution. *She has suggested a series of curtains, but finding
10' high curtains without being custom made is tough.

Thanks,
Jim

The correct answer is "yes, dear".

So here's your evil plan. *Agree with your wife !!! *Tell her that
you'll go get a curtain rod and put it up and pick up some nice fabric
along the way. *All she needs to do is sew a quick sleave and a hem
and it's done. *NBD.

Go do your part and you're done. *Then she'll either be quiet because
she makes the curtains and the project is done or (b) she won't do it
but at least she'll stop complaining because it's waiting for her to
do her part.

Yeah, I tried that. *Let me state we have been married 28 years,
together for 31. *She doesn't have a sewing machine right now (old one
broke, can't afford another at the moment). *But I'm going to push
that idea bit more. *She is far to smart for the old ball in your
court routine. *I did make the mistake of asking "Who cares, it's a
utility room?" *The main problem with any of my negotiations is I
managed to finagle, when we renovated this house, a woodworking shop
attached to it. * Problem is, I don't have the time or money right now
to set it up (20 degrees here, needs insulation) so I could do a
proper job of cabinetry.

But I bet I could find somebody around here with a sewing machine to
knock off some curtains. *I'll look into it.

Look for a dry cleaner that does minor sewing work. If they can't sew a
simple straight hem, they need to be in rehab.

What about some kind of draw shade? *Where you pull a string and it
rolls up to the top. *Anybody ever made something like that?- Hide quoted text -

I once made the style where there are plastic loops on the back with
ropes running through them from the top of the curtain and attached to
a bar at the bottom.

When you pull the drawstring, the curtain draws up until it hits a row
of loops, folds over on itself and keeps goin until it hits the next
row, folding over on itself once again. You end with horizontal layers
of curtain at the top, with the whole thing being as wide as the
distance between the horizontol rows of loops.

Does any of that make sense?.