Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default Oiler (?) wirth HF Micro die grinder

On Jan 23, 3:04 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I recently bought a "Micro die grinder" from HF:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47869

For $9.99, what the hell! I just used it and it's really nice for
delicate work, where its super light weight makes it very easy to handle.

But, the purpose of this post is to ask about the oiler that came with it:http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/oiler.jpg
At least, I assume that it's an oiler. I put oil in it and the oil went
into the grinder. Boy, did it ever - into & out of and all over my
hands! So what's the trick to using these things? Do they have to be
oriented a certain way? The included instructions did not even mention
the device.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
I have four or five, and of course I took the oiler apart to see how
it works. It's just a pinhole. Air pressure enters the chamber, and
when air pressure falls, it pushes oil into the air line.
I suspect you have fluctuating air pressure.
I would just oil the hose (as others have said).

I have one that I use as a lathe tool post grinder (bushed to fit a
boring bar holder). I changed out the load carrying bearings (2ea.)
to grade 5, available from McMaster Carr for about $7. Now, it's
about .0005" slop. I did not change the far end of the air motor
bearing. Just my luck, the grinder I chose to upgrade had a VERY loose
collet holder. I had to grind it true, then put a brass ring on the
tail of the collet. On some others, I had to champher the back end of
the collet, to keep them from sticking.
Dave