Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ Bob  AZ is offline

Default Camlock Spindle Assembly again

I think you are referring to the spindle side of things. �Since the
camlock face of the spindle is a precision part of the whole assembly,
and needs to have a very accurate relationship to the external taper of
the spindle, they are made as one piece. �The camloc adaptor that is
part of the chuck is supposed to BOTH fit flush to the spindle face AND
seat on the external spindle taper, to a high degree of contact. �I have
never even figured out how the heck they do that to any level of
precision, but it obviously is a very critical machining task!

I've never seen the separate piece design, but my guess is it was
assembled first, before the spindle was machined, and is designed to
never be separated.

Jon

Yes I am referring to the spindle side of things.

I was hoping to obtain a camlock assembly, mount it to another camlock
assembly, center/true as necessary and thread it to fit the lathe in
question. A LeBlond lathe in this case. Not a job for the novice but
certainly within the capability of many.

Bob AZ