Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Camlock Spindle Assembly again

David Billington wrote:
Bob AZ wrote:

The Camlock Spindle Nose Assembly has the camlock part mounted on or
secured to the spindle. On my lathe it appears to be a separate piece
that is either pressed on or thread mounted and then secured somehow.
Probably not welded.

Somebody or somewhere the camlock assembly must be made by somebody.
But who or where. It certainly is not intergral with the spindle as
the cost of removing all the metal around the spindle part would be
enormous.

So does anyone know where the Camlock Spindle assembly is available?

Thanks
Bob AZ

Can you provide details of what lathe you have so others can note it. I
have a D1-4 Camlock on my Harrison M300 and all indications are that
the spindle is one piece, the camlock assembly being integral with the
spindle.

At least on D1-size there are really two camlock components. The
spindle has a number of radial holes that intersect the axial holes that
accept the camloc pins. This is all in a ring that is usually one solid
piece with the spindle taper. (The other piece is essentially part of
the chuck, and had the camloc pins threaded into it.)

I think you are referring to the spindle side of things. Since the
camlock face of the spindle is a precision part of the whole assembly,
and needs to have a very accurate relationship to the external taper of
the spindle, they are made as one piece. The camloc adaptor that is
part of the chuck is supposed to BOTH fit flush to the spindle face AND
seat on the external spindle taper, to a high degree of contact. I have
never even figured out how the heck they do that to any level of
precision, but it obviously is a very critical machining task!

The spindles are frequently cast and then machined to size.

I've never seen the separate piece design, but my guess is it was
assembled first, before the spindle was machined, and is designed to
never be separated.

Jon