Don Foreman

Default Bison lathe chuck: how much scroll friction is normal?

Quick experiment: I balanced a bit of 1" dia brass bar about 3
inches long on the (horizontal) handle of the key on my chuck and
rolled it along the key handle while supporting the bar as little as
possible (less than an ounce for sure) to keep it balanced. The
key turned when the bar had rolled about 1.5 inches.

The bar weighs 287 grams (0.632 lb) so torque was 0.95 lb-in or 15
oz-in. My other 3-jaw chucks "feel" about the same as this one.