Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default washing machine leaking when filling

wrote:
Hi - I have a Hotpoint WMA52 and it's just flooded the cellar. The
water it's filling with is backing up into the soap drawer and
spilling out. I had the top off and squeezed the hose between the
soap drawer and the drum, this seems to have made some difference but
when I turn the pressure up it still overflows. It drains the water
quite happily (pump OK). The prewash light is flashing when it has
filled up anyway.

Should there be a float switch and is that knackered?

Should I be able to see water in the drum to a depth of up to the door
bottom when it's filled - cos I can.

What next, I usually fix stuff myself but know little of washing
machines!

Thanks

If you have the top off, take out the pipe 'twixt drawer and drum completely
and clear it manually - it's likely to be encrusted with powder.
If possible, feed a length of wire through it, then tie a small rag to one
end of the wire and pull it through.
Failing that, make a new pipe using hosepipe or similar