Posted to alt.home.repair
Howard Howard is offline

Default Tub Taps

On Jan 23, 1:57 pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:31:29 -0500, "EXT"

wrote:
If your tiles are not mosaic sized, you can use an angle grinder with a
diamond blade to make a number of shallow "X" and other cuts in the tiles to
be removed. Cut them into small sections that can be popped out. Do not cut
into the backer board or whatever is behind the tiles. Then pry out the bits
of tiles you have remaining taking care to not pry against the tiles you
want to keep. Use an old or cheapie wood chisel to help remove some of the
tile bits and to level the backing material before installing your
replacement tiles. Angle grinders can be found quite cheaply along with
inexpensive diamond blades. Tent off the door and possibly the shower and
use a good dust mask as this will produce lots of dust even if you add some
water to make the cutting go better. It works, I have done this myself.

Instead of a grinder and the dust, I use a masonry bit in the drill.
Make a few holes in the first tile center using the "X". I pop the
tile with a hammer and crack that tile. Then remove the pieces. This
also breaks grout...protecting the surrounding tiles to be kept.

"jim" wrote in message
Have to remove them. They are worn beyond repair. There is no access
behind the taps. I have to remove 9 tiles to get at them. I have
exactly 9 spare tiles and there is nowhere to match them up. I was
going to use a utility knife (many blades) to cut out the grout and
remove the required tiles - what are my chances of pulling this off?
Any tips to protect the tiles I need to leave from cracking when I
remove the others?

Oren
--

You might consider using a tub/shower valve that has a "repair plate"
that will cover the two former valve holes. Many of the single level