Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Simple question about GFCI

On Jan 23, 2:23Â*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 23, 2:20�pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 23, 1:49�pm, "curmudgeon" wrote:

If you make it the first device after the breaker, then any outlets that
come after it will also be protected. �Other than that fringe benefit, it
really doesn't matter.

"RedDwarf" wrote in message

I want to replace the standard outlet in my bathroom with a GFCI...

My question is... does it need to be placed in a particular place
relative to the breaker? like, first device... closest to the breaker,
or last device (farthest from breaker)? does it matter?- Hide quoted text -

Clarification: "any outlets that come after it will also be protected"
if and only if the downstream outlets are attached to the "load"
terminals and not the "line" terminals. Either way is acceptable,
depending on what you want the GFCI to protect.- Hide quoted text -

the hardest part of installing GFCIs are old boxes that are physically
too small for them to fit- Hide quoted text -

Not just old boxes...

I installed a GFCI in an exterior box under my deck - a box that came
with a faceplate cut to fit a GFCI. I went inside and turned the
breaker on, only to see a brief wisp of smoke coming from the box when
I came back outside. The GFCI seemed to work, but obviously the smoke
bothered me, so off went the breaker and out came the tools.

As it turned out, the box wasn't deep enough and one of the ridges had
punctured the insulation on the hot wire just enough to cause an arc
and a bit of smoke. So it was back to the store for a box extender.
You would think that a box designed to house a GFCI receptacle would
be big enough to actually do the job it was designed to do!