Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Simple question about GFCI

On Jan 23, 1:26*pm, RedDwarf wrote:
I want to replace the standard outlet in my bathroom with a GFCI...

My question is... does it need to be placed in a particular place
relative to the breaker? like, first device... closest to the breaker,
or last device (farthest from breaker)? does it matter?

It depends what your application is.
For example. If you wanted to put in several kitchen counter outlets,
ideally you would put 1 GFI closest to the breaker, then the rest of
the outlets could be non-GFCI since it is already being protected by
the first one.
In your situation, you are just replacing an outlet with a GFI. It's
pretty straight foward. But if that outlet is feeding other outlets
nearby ( like a fridge or something else) you might get nuiscance
tripping. In that case you have to wire the outlet in a way so that
the incoming feed continues out to the other outlets, and just have
the GFI on its own ( nothing connected to the load side).