Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Tub Taps

On Jan 23, 1:45*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 23, 7:17*am, jim wrote:

Have to remove them. They are worn beyond repair. There is no access
behind the taps. I have to remove 9 tiles to get at them. I have
exactly 9 spare tiles and there is nowhere to match them up. I was
going to use a utility knife (many blades) to cut out the grout and
remove the required tiles - what are my chances of pulling this off?
Any tips to protect the tiles I need to leave from cracking when I
remove the others?

There is no access now, but what about adding that access? Is that
possible?

A nicely trimmed out access panel would make the installation and
future repairs a lot easier.

You can purchase flush mount access panels, which you could probably
paint to match the room/hallway:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JGDCQ4?...&tag=nextag-to...

or you could build you own:http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_walls_ot...V_3805_1385975,...

Nope. It's a 120+ year old house and the taps are on an exterior wall.
Piping would have run up through the flooring along the wall and into
a claw foot tub. When the previous owner installed the new tub he
bumped a false wall out (6") and installed the tap set then tiled over
it. No big deal. If I break the tile removing them I'll just redo the
entire tile job - just not ready to take that on yet.