Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default is there a way to increase the light of an LED with a dial?

In article , Victory wrote:
Thanks for your help. Great to hear it worked. I don't want to go
above the brightness limit of the LED, so that shouldn't be a
problem,.
Now all of the parts you just listed, are they some of the things I
can find at a local Electronic store, Radio shack or something I need
to find online? Also, what kind of cost am I looking at here?

OK. I just tried it with a few bits that came to hand. White LED. 200k pot.
82k resistor. 2N3904 transistor. 12v supply. LED current adjustable from 0 -
25mA. You could also do it using an adjustable regulator as a constant
current source.

Arfa

Well RS used to have stuff like that. Since they shut down my RS
I don't get there much anymore.

I still didn't hear a full purpose of this. The good dimmers use pulses to
control brightness, much more efficient. The switched dimmer as seen
on the $10 lanterns at the dollar store and K-Mart is really nice. I took
one lantern apart last spring with the intentions of beefing up the LED's, but the
driver circuit will only handle so much current. I still have one still intact.

greg