Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Old Maytag electric clothes dryer.

"James Sweet" writes:

I'm guessing that this is not a serious question, but here is an answer
anyway.

Best guess would be that the motor in the timer went bad or a gear broke
in the timer. Easiest solution is to replace the timer. Of course you
could also repair the timer if you were inclined to do so.

The timer motor burned out on my dryer, first time I'd ever seen that happen
but the winding was open, maybe the dryer lost neutral and it fried the 120V
motor? Anyway I needed it working quick so I cut open the motor, removed
thousands of turns of hair thin wire from the form and wound it with the
smallest magnet wire I had. Connected it to 9VAC from a small transformer
and it ran, figured it would get me by for a while but that was over 3 years
ago and it still works so I haven't bothered to get a new dryer.

That's almost as good as repairing the plastic pinion gear in the timer
of my 35 year old Maytag washter with hot melt glue. That was a few years
ago as well.