David Malicky

Default Bison lathe chuck: how much scroll friction is normal?

I have a new Bison 8" 3 jaw chuck that seems to have a lot of friction
when turning the scroll. The torque to turn the chuck wrench measures
~36 inch-pounds. The scroll can be turned w/ one hand on the chuck
wrench but it is really a two hand process. I thought lathe chucks
adjust pretty freely, but then I don't think I've ever used a brand
new chuck. My question is, is this considered normal for new?

Some history: I called Bison (Toolmex); they said "it should turn
freely--send it back", so that is what I did (Enco). The 2nd chuck
has a similar amount of friction. So this time I measured it (36
in-lb), thinking, "there must be a spec for this", but when I called
Toolmex again they didn't know what to do w/ that number and couldn't
get an answer from the factory. They said send this one back, too,
but I'm wondering if that is pointless. Either the friction is
normal, or there was a bad batch of chucks. Guidance appreciated.

Other info: The chuck was packed in oil, w/ plenty of grease in the
scroll – no cosmoline. Chuck is unmounted. Removing the jaws makes
little if any difference-—the friction seems to be between the scroll
ID and the chuck body. In addition to the friction, there is some
noticeable roughness due to the engagement of the individual teeth
between the pinions and scroll ring gear.

Can anyone who can shed some light on this, esp. how much torque is
considered normal for a good, new 8" chuck?
Thanks, David