Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default washing machine leaking when filling

wrote in message
Hi - I have a Hotpoint WMA52 and it's just flooded the cellar. The
water it's filling with is backing up into the soap drawer and
spilling out. I had the top off and squeezed the hose between the
soap drawer and the drum, this seems to have made some difference but
when I turn the pressure up it still overflows. It drains the water
quite happily (pump OK). The prewash light is flashing when it has
filled up anyway.

Should there be a float switch and is that knackered?

If it spilling out of the soap drawer before the whole machine is full to
the same height then simple logic tells you it isn't a float switch at
fault. It's a (partial) blockage in the pipe between the soap drawer and
drum.

Should I be able to see water in the drum to a depth of up to the door
bottom when it's filled - cos I can.

Yes, or there wouldn't be anything for Mrs Bartolozzi's clothes to go
"slooshy sloshy slooshy sloshy" in and get all those dirty shirties clean.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines