Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom extractor Fan in flat roof

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 04:01:27 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
" wrote this:-

The Builders have stated that the extractor flexible pipe should have
gone into the soffets, where there are holes/air vents and it has
somehow become detached, can't see how you could have attached it
though, the holes are lots of small slits. Is this normal?

It is normal to discharge air this way, as is illustrated in the
link I posted.

However, the discharge should be through a suitable terminal, which
will have a spigot onto which the ducting is connected. The
companies I mentioned will have suitable terminals in their
catalogues. The small slits are to ventilate the roof space, not to
form the discharge from extractor fans. If the builder did provide a
suitable terminal you will be able to see it, as it will be a
different size/shape to the slots. I suspect you will find that, for
whatever reason, they did not install one.

Yes. Often they don't. I have run a flexi pipe to a soffit, and put in a
grelle - a special one for the extractor. It was a right bloody fiddle
to get it all installed.

Its so easy to leave it out..and because soffit ventilation is vastly
overspecified (IMO), and chances are no one will ever notice.