Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] boltmail@mailbolt.com is offline

Default Aren't mains drills great?

On 22 Jan, 20:41, (A.Lee) wrote:
I fitted a new mortice lock to a PO door today. Big heavy thing with
steel reinforcement to both sides.
I started with my Bosch cordless, which went flat after a hour or
so,changed battery, and that went a bit later.
So to the back up plan of using the B+D Quattro mains drill from around
1992.

Christ it is a revelation - so smooth and powerful. And at least 15
years old. When drilling metal, it makes the Bosch feel very amateur.

Mind, it's crap at masonry drilling, and screwdriving, which i tried
today - no, you cant control it enough to drive screws in.

And to think I was going to give it away, as I used cordless all the
time now.I'm really glad I've kept it - it is invaluable for large wood
augers, and even 10mm drills through steel.
Alan.

I've got a Fein mains drill, which is just fantastic, when I remember
to use it. One of the best things about them is that they run at an
rpm which is nearer to adequate for smaller bits in wood, unlike most
cordless drills. It has by several orders of magnitude the best drill
chuck I've ever used (or seen), too, top top end Rohm, silky precision.