The Natural Philosopher

Default Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation

L Reid wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:00:52 +0100, "L Reid"
wrote:

I found Celotex much more pleasant to work with than rockwool or glass
fibre. Certainly I didn't find gloves necessary, but for cutting,
especially with a power tool like a circular saw, a dust mask is
essential and it's preferable to work outside. It does create a lot
of fine dust, but only when actually cutting. I used an old table
saw with an old blade and hooked up the dust extraction to the Bosch
wet/dry cleaner. That sucks up most of the dust, but I still think
that a dust mask makes sense. The most efficient way is to cut some
or all of the pieces then get into the loft and have someone pass them
up to you. The job goes pretty quickly then.
Celotex has foil vapour barrier on both sides.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks Andy. Did you replace existing insulation with it, and if so, how did
it perform thermally compared to the 'old stuff'? Think I'll make a point of
cutting it up outside, weather allowing. Did you just lay it flat, or did
you use tape to hold it in place?

I'll reply as well.

I used it on a new build in sections of sloping roof where the rooms
were 'under the eaves'.

It is better than rockowool per unit thickness - about twice as good,
but worse per unit £ as its about three times the cost!!

We cut the boards to fit between the rafters, friction fitted, and foil
taped to the rafters, and taped over any smaller gaps - sometimes using
scrap bits to in fill the odder parts.

We didn't use it on any flat surfaces - that was all rockwool, since we
had adequate depth there.

Interior was clad in plasterboard laid flush to it.

Main problems have been with draughts. You MUST make sure there are no
channels up which icy winds can flow to cool the plasterboard. With
hindsight, I'd have gone round with a gun of expanding foam to lock it
all in place and seal the gaps rather than rely solely on the tape. This
problem was exacerbated by the Building inspectors insistence on huge
ventilation holes in the soffits and roof ridges, that deliver a massive
draught over the top of the boards as laid.

I mean I agree with venitlating the timbers, but not turning the loft
into a wind tunnel...:-)

Cheers!

Leigh