Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

Default how to shape a small circle to the OD of a tank end?

Picture the little aluminum disk riveted to the top of a Weber kettle. It
closely matches the profile of the domed kettle top.

I want to make something similar in concept, but with different dimensions.
I find I have no idea how to shape e.g. a 4" soft aluminum circle so it
will lie close to the OD of a rounded 3D surface like a tank end.

We can combine modern technology with the classic sculpter's wisdom:

1.Chuck a piece large enough to create it in your CNC turning center.

2.Remove everything that does not look like a domed disk.

--
Dennis