Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.energy.homepower
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Lost Electricity -2

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:00:34 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Ann wrote:

No post (at least that I saw) claimed that setting the thermostat up
increased the rating of a standard residential hot air furnace.

Claiming that setting the thermostat higher than the desired temperature
will cause the room to reach that temperature faster is _exactly_equivalent_
to claiming that setting the thermostat higher than the desired temperature
will increase the output of the furnace. :-)

No it isn't. Don't forget about run time.

In this case, we turned on the heat in a 50-degree house, with the
thermostat set for 70. The furnace cut off when the temperature was
about 60. Each additional heat cycle would raise this some until it
got to 70.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams