Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default how to shape a small circle to the OD of a tank end?

Ah. That would be "raising". I read about that once in a book about how
they used to make copper pans. Thanks, Pete.

GWE

spaco wrote:

You can do this on a flat surface.
-Cut the piece to shape and file or smooth the edge.
-Find a hard flat surface. An anvil or a half inch thick or thicker
steel plate would be good.
-Using as large a radius domed hammer as you have, simply begin
hammering at the center of the piece and make a spiral of hammer marks
out from the center. Be careful not to hit anywhere close to the edges
of the piece.
Stretching will occur anywhere you hit with the hammer, but, since you
are NOT hammering the edges, the stretched (hammered) material will have
to go someplace and it will dome out as you need.
-Don't try to get all the doming you need in one pass. Just work from
the center to the outside, then go back and make another complete spiral
pass, hammering between the previous hammer marks if possible.
-You do need to be a little cautious that you don't overly work harden
the piece to the point where it cracks.

Note that the larger the radius of hammer you use, the nicer the
finished part will look.

Pete Stanaitis

Grant Erwin wrote:

Picture the little aluminum disk riveted to the top of a Weber kettle. It
closely matches the profile of the domed kettle top.

I want to make something similar in concept, but with different
dimensions.
I find I have no idea how to shape e.g. a 4" soft aluminum circle so it
will lie close to the OD of a rounded 3D surface like a tank end.

This is for making a smoker vent ..

Grant