Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Aren't mains drills great?

I fitted a new mortice lock to a PO door today. Big heavy thing with
steel reinforcement to both sides.
I started with my Bosch cordless, which went flat after a hour or
so,changed battery, and that went a bit later.
So to the back up plan of using the B+D Quattro mains drill from around
1992.

Christ it is a revelation - so smooth and powerful. And at least 15
years old. When drilling metal, it makes the Bosch feel very amateur.

Mind, it's crap at masonry drilling, and screwdriving, which i tried
today - no, you cant control it enough to drive screws in.

And to think I was going to give it away, as I used cordless all the
time now.I'm really glad I've kept it - it is invaluable for large wood
augers, and even 10mm drills through steel.
Alan.