Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default New Wood Working

"SpaceAceF" wrote in message
I recently retired from the military and my wife has agreed
to building me a workshop and some nice woodworking tools.
I really want to build a playable guitar. I know there are plenty
of plans out there but can anyone suggest a floor plan for the
shop and the most important tools I need get first.

Luthier work is definitely one where it would help to have some expert
advice when it comes to tools. Since you're retired, I would seriously
consider atttending one of the many fine lutherie schools and go from there.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-8010.html

Best plan for tool purchase in any form of woodworking is to buy the tool as
the need arises, that way you get what you need for what you're going to be
doing as a woodworker.

IOW, buy the guitar plans you feel most comfortable with, then buy the tools
you need to implement the plan.

Making jigs is important in that line of woodworking, and the tools to make
the jigs I would consider a necessity.

Besides the necessary workbench, almost every luthier I've known had at
least a band saw and a drill press in the way of large power tools. Not one
had a tablesaw.

After that, lots of planes, rasps, small hand saws, and lots and lots of
specialized clamps, seem to be in order.

I would go the school route if I were retired, serious about guitar
building, and wanted to get into it quickly.

....just my tuppence.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07