Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Portable car jump starter.

Terry wrote in
:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:07:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 18, 5:16*pm, Terry wrote:
I have a Black and Decker 450 amp jump starter.

The car battery was dead because the lights were left on. *I wanted to
use the car in the morning. *I took the battery charger and put it on
the battery, the night before, intending to trickle charge it.

The next morning the car would not start and there was no juice in the
charger.

I am guessing that the jump starters are not intended to trickle
charge, although I don't see why.

As many have already replied, these devices will not charge a battery.

In addition (in my experience) they will jump a weak battery, but may
have trouble with a cold, completely dead battery. I've used my HF
JumpStart numorous times to jump various vehicle where we at least got
a click or 2 out of the starter solenoid, but when my son left the
lights on overnight on a very cold night, the JumpStart device did not
work. One shot with jumper cables and another vehicle and the dead car
turned right over.

If used like they are intended, I think they are a great thing to have
in an emergency. I have used mine to prevent me from being stranded
on the side of the road more than once.

The tire pump allowed me to add air to a tire and drive it to the
shop. It saved me from changing a tire and only took 5 min to get
going again.

I would rather have one and not need it, than to need one and not have
it.

how often do you charge it? how long does it hold a useable charge?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik