Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob Marilyn & Bob is offline

Default Repare chandelier sockets or buy a new one?

"Charlie S." wrote in message

You all seem to be on target as far as this unit is concerned. I'll try
to reply to most of your postings below. (Sorry for any redundancy.)

The sockets are made of plastic and most fit loosely on the base.
Tightening might be impossible as there is a 1" specialized grommet that
runs through the center of socket itself. I doubt I could replace them
with a regular grommet tool as I would be squeezing the grommet through
plastic.

There is also a screw on the bottom of the socket. I see wire fragments
attached beneath it. Seems odd to me. Loosening or tightening the screw
might be an option to explore. I don't think that screw is a supportive
screw. I could be wrong. I haven't tried the eraser idea yet. There
isn't any metal to bend up or down. The screw must be the metal
connection.

The outer plastic sheath does rise rather high and may be causing problems
in sockets I haven't tested. Will try removing each one that gives me
trouble to find out if that might be a culprit. If so, I'll trim it down.

In some candles there is some play between the bulb and the socket..
Others fit snugly. I took the outer sheath off of one of them to see if
that made a difference. Still had the same problem. There is too much
play between the bulb and the socket. In other candles there is too much
play at the base.

Thanks for the idea of replacing with porcelain parts or replacing the
whole unit with a brass base lamp. Most likely buying a new unit is the
route I will take. Although, I do have a friend who is electrically
inclined. If I can get him to help me, I might replace each of the bulb
units with porcelain.

Can't really replace with each bulb with 15 watt bulbs. This unit already
gets pretty dim when 2 or 3 of the bulbs mysteriously decide to shut off.
Has me thinking though. These bulbs are using a lot of electricity when
the light is on. Maybe I should be looking at a more energy efficient
lamp fixture. Or, if I do replace the sockets, then test out the 15 watt
bulbs.

Thanks for your help.

To save electricity, take a look at these (or similar) CF bulbs.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/Decorative-Torpedo-CFL/

--
Peace,
BobJ