Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default building a new shower pan

On Jan 22, 1:09*am, "Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:
Todd,

Take a look at the following linkhttp://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

Not quite what you asked for, but it may be of some help. The kit components
are also available separately. Specifically, the waterproofing membrane.

I haven't used this kit myself, but plan to do so when (if?) I ever get
around to adding a new shower to an existing bathroom.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

"Todd" wrote in message

To All:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'll be putting this in my basement, on the concrete slab. *This
shower is going to replace the fiberglass shower pan that was
destroyed and removed. Most instructions I see for doing this call for
laying down roof paper, or some type of barrier, before putting down
the initial sloping sand mix,. This, i understand is designed to
preven moisture from wicking into the concrete.

If I'm putting sand mix down, and then a 40 MIL CPE liner, and then
thickset, and then the thinset and tile, do I need the roof paper at
the bottom? Or is this for putting a shower on a plywood base?

Any thoughts/suggestions/words of wisdom?

-Thanks in advance,.

Todd- Hide quoted text -

FWIW...I have seen this type of system used a couple of times on
Holmes on Homes. They seem to love it.