Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.energy.homepower
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Lost Electricity -2

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:27:05 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
(Charles Bishop) wrote:

I don't think that's what she said. If you want the temp to be 70, then
set the t-stat to 80. It will cycle once or twice, then set it to 70. This
is from a "cold" start where the temp is way below the setting. It takes
time to bring the furnishings, &c up to temp, so having the t-stat set at
80 helps with this. Yes?

No. A thermostat is an on-off switch. As long as the room temperature is lower
than the thermostat's setpoint, it's on. When the room temperature reaches the
setpoint, it turns off. That's all.

I've found that it does help, even if it shouldn't. At least I've seen
this with a particular gas furnace. When expected to raise the
temperature 20 degrees of so, the furnace would cut off well before
reaching the set temperature.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams