Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mr. Land Mr. Land is offline

Default Reasonable to try to sub power MOSFET's?

On Jan 22, 4:28*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Mr. Land" wrote in message

Hi, I'm working on a home theater receiver that has a blown MOSFET
(2SK3599-01MR) in one of the switching power supplies. *I can't seem
to find a replacement from any of the sources I'm aware of.

I was able to find a datasheet on it, and I'm wondering if it's even a
reasonable idea to try to use that to substitute some other MOSFET for
it by comparing datasheets.

If this isn't a completely stupid idea, what parameter(s) would be key
for making such a substitution?

Thanks.

In my experience, if you enjoy Disney's firework displays, go right ahead
and sub for the original ... !!

Seriously though, I've never had any luck going down the substitution route
for power MOSFETs in switchers. It seems like no matter how close - or even
apparently better - you get a match on the quoted parameters of the
original, then if it doesn't try to take the retinas out of the backs of
your eyes at first switch on, it will try to melt the supply to your house
two days later ...

Others on here might have found differently ?

Arfa

Thanks for that advice. I found the device listed on a manufacturer's
site
(http://www.fujisemiconductor.com/htm...des/mosfet.htm) and
it's listed with "related" devices with a small set of comparative
characteristics.

I'm (only) guessing that I(D) is maximum drain current, R(DS)on is the
maximum
drain-to-source resistance when the device is fully on, V(DSS) is the
maximum drain-to-source voltage, and Q(G) Typ would be expected
capacitance at the gate.

I was hoping that, since these specs are the only ones on this page,
and the page seems to be intended to help you choose a device for a
design,
that if I could find one of the other numbers that came in close, I'd
be OK.

But it sounds like I'm just asking for trouble. Thanks again.