Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Bruel & Kjaer 2107 Frequency Analyzer

In article ,
Ross D Matheson wrote:

Are there any here who know this instrument, or know who might know whether it
could be used for more general audio work, beyond the commented link in this?

Bruel & Kjaer 2107 Frequency Analyzer
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=136643465

That's really neat, I know something about this instrument but not much
anymore. Forty odd years ago when I was a young wet behind the ears
audio equipment designer we had a Bruel & Kjaer test system of which
this instrument was one part, unfortunately I have forgotten probably
98% of what I once knew. The system consisted of at least three parts,
maybe more that I have forgotten about, all mounted in a rack. First
there was an oscillator like this one, second there was a tracking
filter which had a fractional octave bandwidth, although I forget the
fraction, and finally there was a chart recorder. These parts were all
linked together by a chain drive of some sort IIRC so that they all
tracked one another for making various measurements. The simplest test
would be a frequency response run using the oscillator and the chart
recorder. The chart recorder also worked with a CBS test record for
testing phono pickups, and I used it in this mode to test a lot of phono
pickups.

I'm not sure of what use what the oscillator by itself would be, which
is what the auction appears to be for?

Regards,

John Byrns