Posted to uk.d-i-y
benpost benpost is offline

Default kitchen floor: ceramic tiles or laminate tile effect

hi NP
the floor is now clear of rubble and got rid of most of the dust. most
of the floor is covered with the black adhesive stuff which was for
the original tiles when the flat was built. there are areas that
werent tiled that are a but uneven and crumbly.
what do you advise i do next. i'm thinking i might need some sort of
levelling stuff for the previously non tiled areas.
i know you said dont worry about self levelling but the concrete/sandy
areas are pretty uneven, but would be easy to level as they are
surrounding by the flat areas that were tiled.
your advice very welcomed. thanks

Yes. I have found that PVA stabilises loose crumbly screed VERY well.
Use loads of it. It's cheap.

Don't bother self levelling for tiles. Get a GOOD quality RAPID set
adhesive - I swear by Ardex, and lay the tiles using a levelled string
as a guide, with a minimum of 4mm at the highest floor point. The cement
is very little more expensive than levelling compund, and this way it
comes out right. Mix stiff to avoid slump, in small quantities. They
really do mean rapid set.

appreciate the help and advice guys, i'm finding you lot more helpful
than the diy manual!- Hide quoted text -