Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buying kitchen appliances

Appin wrote:
The message

from benpost contains these words:

just a quickie i don't know a lot about brand names for kitchen
appliances, can anyone give me a rough guide?

i don't mind paying a bit more for a well known make that will last
longer & work better.

such as a car i'd rather own a vw or audi than a ford or vauxhall...

I'd certainly second the "You won't go wrong with a Miele appliance"
recomendation.

Not so confident about Bosch.

AEG are usually trouble-free but expensive.

Some Panasonic things are great but their recent vacuum cleaners are
very suspect.

Siemens ar a mixed bag.

IIRC there are - as with many car parts - only tow or three actual
maunufacturers out there* - the rest is just badge engineering.

You wont go WRONG with Miele.

The rest? its plain luck as far as I can tell. I hvae old model hoover
stuff that has outlasted several more modern hoover machines..

Basically all modern kit is built down to a price: things are made of
flimsy plastic, not metal, and the expectation is the unit will be
junked every 5-10 years when a new kitchen/refurb happens. Miele seems
to be the exception.

* when it comes to things like clutches, gearboxes, fuel injection
systems and the like