Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default building a new shower pan

To All:

I'm going to build a custom shower pan for the purpose of tiling.
I've never done anything like this before, so I want to make sure I'm
doing this right...

I'll be putting this in my basement, on the concrete slab. This
shower is going to replace the fiberglass shower pan that was
destroyed and removed. Most instructions I see for doing this call for
laying down roof paper, or some type of barrier, before putting down
the initial sloping sand mix,. This, i understand is designed to
preven moisture from wicking into the concrete.

If I'm putting sand mix down, and then a 40 MIL CPE liner, and then
thickset, and then the thinset and tile, do I need the roof paper at
the bottom? Or is this for putting a shower on a plywood base?

Any thoughts/suggestions/words of wisdom?

-Thanks in advance,.

Todd