Posted to alt.home.repair
john[_8_] john[_8_] is offline

Default Repare chandelier sockets or buy a new one?

The suggestion to bend up the center contact is a good one. Just
don't forget to have the power switched off, sometimes less
experienced people focusing on a task can forget, especially in a case
like this where the bulbs might be off due to the failure and not the
switch.

Can also using sandpaper or emory paper clean the center contact
and the screw shell until shiney. The center contact could be bent up
slightly, maybe 30 degree angle, the bulb will push down.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:51:25 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Jan 21, 10:14*am, "Charlie S." wrote:
Have a chandelier in our dining room that is about 40 years old. *Some of
the lights don't work that well. *One has to twist the bulb(s) to just the
right spot in the socket to get them to stay lit. *Through vibration or for
some other reason some of them will shut off by themselves.

I can twist the bulb back in to make it work again to make it work.
However, I'm getting tired of that game. *I was thinking of replacing the
whole unit as one can buy a new one for $100-$200. *Or, is there a simple
and inexpensive way to repair these type of sockets?

http://www.shadesoflight.com/images/chandsolution.jpg

Look at the bottom of the socket there might be a piece of metal on
the bottom that can be bent up