Posted to alt.home.repair
john[_8_] john[_8_] is offline

Default outlet/low voltage in fireplace mantel?

Bob,

Mounting these in the wall will keep dust out of them.

If you mount on the horizontal mantle then use receptacles
that have covers to keep dust out when not in use. There
are in floor types with screw covers. You might also get a spring
loaded cover type for outdoorelectrical use receptacles (though no
longer the best option if used for outdoors) to work for both.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 07:14:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm building a home and am thinking about adding a 110v outlet and low
voltage (cable, ethernet, hdmi) box to our fireplace mantel. This
would give us the option of placing a television above the fireplace
and a place to plug in our Christmas decorations, digital picture
frames, etc.

Is this something that is done with any regularity? I'm considering
either a flush brushed brass outlet or something recessed.

Thanks for any input.

Bob