Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Electric dryer - thermal fuse question

"Rick" wrote in message ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

Set the meter to AC 750V range. Closed the breaker. Tested
black to neutral: no reading. Tested red to neutral: In a split
second "FFFZZZZ!" and the wire inside the insulated test lead
fried and shot out of the test probe.

Non-sequitur. It sounds as if you had the probes inserted in the current
jacks.

Nope. I checked it twice before testing. And since it was brought up I
looked at the meter again - correct jacks.

Your reasoning wouldn't explain why it didn't 'zap' when testing the
first 120v side of the 240v receptacle. I got no reading at all on the
white and black side. (No fried test lead either.) It went 'zap' when I
tested the white and red side.

But black to neutral might be little or no voltage. Maybe.

Regardless, voltage ranges have extremely high impedances. It should be
"impossible" to pump enough current through them to blow up the wiring.