Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rick Rick is offline

Default Electric dryer - thermal fuse question

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

Set the meter to AC 750V range. Closed the breaker. Tested
black to neutral: no reading. Tested red to neutral: In a split
second "FFFZZZZ!" and the wire inside the insulated test lead
fried and shot out of the test probe.

Non-sequitur. It sounds as if you had the probes inserted in the current
jacks.

Nope. I checked it twice before testing. And since it was brought up I
looked at the meter again - correct jacks.

Your reasoning wouldn't explain why it didn't 'zap' when testing the
first 120v side of the 240v receptacle. I got no reading at all on the
white and black side. (No fried test lead either.) It went 'zap' when I
tested the white and red side.

Rick