Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default What do you look for on a woodturning club website?

In message , charlieb
writes
ANYWAY - the first cut at the SVwoodturners.org site
is up. Still needs some fleshing out - but the guts are
there. Comments, suggestions, constructive criticism
would be appreciated.

charlie b

Hi Charlie
My first reaction is that you have set the minimum ideal resolution too
high. Go for 800x600 as there are still plenty out there using it

Second
DO NOT put an email address on the website that is clickable.
Use an image of the email address, This may require the user to type it
into their browser, which is a small effort, but has a tendency to deter
some people from making contact, and they will, because they are too
lazy to look on your site for the information. The BIG advantage of
using an image is that it is not harvestable by BOTS looking for email
addresses to use in SPAM. I went over to this method over 5 years ago,
and do not get any Spam to my listed addresses, however the addresses I
was using in 1998 get tens of thousands a day !

On your links you have "ALWAYS UNDER CONSTRUCTION" that's a no, like the
guy digging a hole etc., very much the last decade. When people read it
they tend to think, not worth looking at as its not complete will look
later, so go away. They usually forget to come back too

Consistency of Layout Mainly logo I notice you have two, and position
seems to vary

Consider making the links "====== Back to the Silicon Valley
Woodturners Home Page" just read Home, and put one at top and one at
bottom of the page

just a few thoughts, hope they are of use from a few minute scan.
--
John