Posted to alt.home.repair, rec.woodworking
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default outlet/low voltage in fireplace mantel?

On Jan 21, 10:14*am, wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm building a home and am thinking about adding a 110v outlet and low
voltage (cable, ethernet, hdmi) box to our fireplace mantel. *This
would give us the option of placing a television above the fireplace
and a place to plug in our Christmas decorations, digital picture
frames, etc.

Is this something that is done with any regularity? *I'm considering
either a flush brushed brass outlet or something recessed.

Thanks for any input.

Bob

If your going to be using the fireplace I wouldn't recommend hanging
the TV over it. I have a plasma hanging over my fireplace, but the
only thing in it is candles. I used a wall mount that allowed me to
tilt the plasma. The result is that you can be in a recliner and be at
the perfect angle to watch. The wall it is mounted on is drywall with
3/4" thick furring strips attached to the concrete. Due to the limited
space behind the wall I had to cut out access for the 120Volt box. The
low voltage does not have to be in a box so I made an access hole in
the drywall and put a trim ring on it. All of the low voltage stuff is
routed to a central access point near the electronic equipment.
I suspect you won't have much room between the finished wall and the
chimney masonary so you may not be able to use the standard stuff.
Wiremold makes some nice brass stuff that is available through Greybar
Electric and Wesco. Thomas & Betts and Schneider Electric (SquareD)
also compete in that market.