Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default plywood or presswood

On Jan 21, 9:59*am, lerameur wrote:
hello,

I am almost finish my cutting board project, Consisting of 200 wooden
block (2 inch by 4 inch, and 2 in thick). I have glued them together,
but wanted to rest and glue this on a large piece of wood for more
support. I was thinking plywood, but a friend said to use presswood,
because it wont work like plywood.
What wood would I best use?
thanks

ken

Unless your blocks are perfectly sealed they are going to swell and
contract over time with changes in humidity. I would not recommend
glueing them to a substrate. The thickness you are describing should
not warp if you attach it to a plywood or high density particle board
substrate. I would secure the substrate to the support (cabinet?). I
would then drill slightly oversize holes in the substrate and use just
a few screws near the perimeter to keep the block from sliding. The
idea is to keep it secure while letting it move a little as it swells
and shrinks.
Regards,
Dave G.