Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default outlet/low voltage in fireplace mantel?

wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm building a home and am thinking about adding a 110v outlet and low
voltage (cable, ethernet, hdmi) box to our fireplace mantel. This
would give us the option of placing a television above the fireplace
and a place to plug in our Christmas decorations, digital picture
frames, etc.

Is this something that is done with any regularity? I'm considering
either a flush brushed brass outlet or something recessed.

I think Arlington Industries and Leviton make electrical boxes to go behind
flat screen TV's. They accommodate low voltage and the line voltage in one
unit. The nice part is that the devices are recessed in the wall so that
the plugs do not protrude out into the back of the TV. You may need to buy
these boxes at an electrical supply company.