Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chigger Chigger is offline

Default Question: Temp reached by black anodized aluminum in direct sun

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
. ..
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

To make informed comments, we really need to know a bit more...

Not quite ready to discuss exact details. But it's not
shrouding and does not bolt to the engine. It's out in free
air flow while riding, but is near the crank case. While a
few true customs sometimes have exhaust on the left side of
a Harley engine, that's pretty rare. This mounts on the
opposite side so exhaust is not an issue.

It's the combination of radiant heat from the engine and
absorbed heat from direct sun that I am looking to account
for. The first test unit has been in use for a year, and
several times during 100 degree heat. It was just checked by
grabbing, after a decent highway run, and was not hot enough
that it couldn't be held. But we didn't account for it
sitting in direct hot sun while soaking up heat from the engine.

We are 90% confident we're OK, just looking to verify. And
switch adhesives if we have to. We've now located adhesives
good to over 400F which most certainly is overkill, but at
least in the worst case, we have that option.

Nothing quite like this exists at present, since we're
starting small we are a bit secretive about the specifics.
There are accessory manufacturers that have national or
global distribution that could beat us to market if they
knew what we had and thought it could sell. If we are
successful we know we will be copied, we just want to make
sure WE get credit for being the first to market.

Jon

Have you looked into whether it's patentable? That could give
you protection from the competition.
Even if it's not there is the Design Copyright, while not ironclad,
which can slow them down.
Art