Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default $#!! Ooops...roto-hammer bits

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:22:59 +0530, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:01:06 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:31:44 +0530, Gunner Asch
wrote:

A-taper? Those are the Morse taper type bits?

Yes, but the taper is quite small, and obviously not very fussy.
Probably a little smaller than a #1 MT. Even it proves to be
inconvenient for regular use, as long as you have a lathe available to
turn the taper, the adapter is handy in a pinch for using the bits in
that $2 yard sale box.

They tend to spin when loaded heavily?

This Milwaukee 5300 roto hammer is a beast! Got to weigh at least
15 lbs, looks like a Sawzall on steroids after a sex change operation.
I have (1) 7/16" hex shank 1.5" auger bit, and ran it through a 12"
timber like it was styrofoam. Needed those pipe handles
though..way..thats not a wrist breaker..its a shoulder dislocater.

I've only seen the tapers on masonry bits, and I doubt they'd be
suitable for conventional twist drills or wood augers.

I just found found a pic of your Milwaukee - it looks like something
from a Terminator movie. My AEG is perhaps 3/4 the size and
cuddly-looking by comparison.

--
Ned Simmons