Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Southerwood Tim Southerwood is offline

Default buying kitchen appliances

benpost coughed up some electrons that declared:

just a quickie i don't know a lot about brand names for kitchen
appliances, can anyone give me a rough guide?

i don't mind paying a bit more for a well known make that will last
longer & work better.

such as a car i'd rather own a vw or audi than a ford or vauxhall...

For large appliances (dryers, washing machines etc), Miele or top-end Bosch
in that order (middle and low end Bosch machines are IIRC made in Spain and
are not in the same league; Logixx, if they still market with that subbrand
are the high end, Classix is crap and Excell is middle).

I have 3 Miele appliances (Washing machine, bottom end, miles better than
top end of most other makes, a Revolution IV cylinder hoover which is the
first domestic cylinder hoover that I've used that I believe is actually
capable of anything good; and a fridge which does actually seem to stay
cold enough without freezing to make food last a good couple of days longer
than my old no-name fridge). Miele "just work" for what thay are designed
to do. They cost a packet, but allegedly last a long time. I've have to
take 5 on that one before I can personally vouch.

I also have a Bosch tumble dryer that is basically sound and still just
works, after 7 years and the dishwasher is easy to DIY service (not a
fault, but somehow (cough) powder got into the rinse aid tank so I had to
strip and clean it).

Basically, buy German...

My old Vax hoover was middling as a domestic hoover but will take almost any
abuse as a lightweight "builders" hoover, eg garage and DIY duties.
Personally I've found it better for that than the Henries and friends, but
to be fair, I only ever used beaten up old Henries at work, so it's not a
fair comparision.

Can't complain about my old Hotpoint freezer. Simple, quiet, works, 12 years
old.

IMO don't touch Hoover (crap tumble dryer, got a refund, bought the Bosch),
White Knight, Electrolux, Ariston (parts are bloody expensive).

Cannon (sp?) make basic but solid gas cookers IME, Panasonic combo-microwave
reliable and consistent (but opinions vary), NEFF make some pretty fancy
ovens and hobs, but I don't like their "basic" built in oven, though the
electric hob is OK.

That's all I have from personal experience.

Cheers

Tim